Commercial DVDs are saved in VOB format. You can play a DVD on your home computer if your computer’s DVD player software recognizes VOB and most of them do. But what happens when you want to convert your DVD into a format that your iPad or iPod will recognize? What if you want to use video editing software to create outtakes of your favorite scenes from a movie and make your own montage? Then you’re going to need a VOB file converter.
Ojosoft VOB Converter
A good VOB file converter will input the VOB format on a commercial DVD and output it in any file format you choose. Common output file formats are:
* MPEG4 for uploading the file to an iPod, iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad
* H.264 for uploading to an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad
* 3GP for uploading the file to a smartphone device or netbook
* AVI for playing back on a handheld video camera like the Flip
* FLV for uploading to YouTube
* WMV for playing back on your Windows computer in Windows Media Player
VOB file converters are also called “DVD rippers.” “Ripping” simply means copying digital files from some type of removable storage device (such as a DVD or CD). The software copies the DVD’s VOB files to your computer hard drive and reformats them so your computer or hand held device can recognize them.
Video converters and DVD rippers are both available on the internet. The selection can be confusing, especially because sometimes the same company sells both types of software. Be sure to read the specs for the individual product before you buy so you’ll know the tool will do what you need it to do.